Runner missing on Grouse Mountain rescued
Posted: Nov 26, 2012 10:52 AM PT
Last Updated: Nov 26, 2012 9:17 PM PT
A runner missing in the icy, snowy terrain in the mountains of Vancouver’s North Shore was found by search and rescue crews Monday morning.
Officials say the 44-year-old, whose name has not been released, went for a run Sunday afternoon but got separated from a friend.
The search began later that night after the man’s truck was discovered in the parking lot of Lynn Headwaters Park.
Search and rescue crews found no sign of the man overnight, but managed to locate him near Lynn Creek just after 10 a.m. PT Monday.
Officials say the temperature was close to –8 C overnight, and the man's survival skills likely saved his life.
"He burrowed into a stump and covered himself in moss, and that was the reason we couldn't make any contact with him last night," said Tim Jones with North Shore Search and Rescue.
"He's got trench foot, I would say a moderate form of trench foot in his feet and almost a trench foot in his hands and fingers so he's going to require hospitalization and treatment for that, but other than that he's fine."
The man walked out with assistance and was taken to hospital.
Latest British Columbia News Headlines
- Adrian Dix to speak to media for first time since NDP loss
- Embattled B.C. NDP Leader Adrian Dix is slated to speak to the media this afternoon following a week of silence after last week's surprise election defeat. more »
- Residents allowed home after gas leak, fire in Mission
- Residents of about 20 homes in Mission, B.C., have been allowed to return after a gas leak and fire forced their evacuation. more »
- Alleged sex assault at grade school under investigation
- Police in Port Hardy, on Vancouver Island, are investigating the alleged sexual assault of a girl by other students on the grounds of an elementary school last month. more »
- Greyhound bus caught going twice the speed limit in B.C.
- A Greyhound bus has been impounded after the driver was caught driving more than twice the speed limit in a construction zone near Blue River, north of Kamloops, the Ministry of Transportation says. more »
Top News Headlines
- Standing room only for Tim Bosma memorial
- It's standing room only at the memorial for Timothy Bosma in Hamilton today. 1,000 chairs were filled an hour before the memorial was set to start. Bosma is the Hamilton man killed after taking two strangers on a test drive in a truck he had listed for sale online. CBCNews.ca will livestream the event starting at 11 a.m. ET from Carmen's Banquet Hall where Bosma was married just three years ago. more »
- Video forensics: How easy would it be to fake a Rob Ford video?
- Two media outlets reported last week that they had seen a cellphone video of Mayor Rob Ford allegedly smoking crack, a claim that has gone global. If a video does surface, how easy would it be to determine its authenticity? CBC News asked video forensic analyst David McKay. more »
- Oklahoma residents begin to return home after deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Jimmy Kimmel, Jon Stewart crack jokes about Rob Ford
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's woes over crack cocaine allegations are providing plenty of late-night TV fodder for Jimmy Kimmel, Jon Stewart and other comedians south of the border. more »
- Man being questioned in Boston bombing probe shot dead by FBI
- The FBI says a man being questioned by authorities in the Boston bombing probe was fatally shot after he initiated a violent confrontation during an interview with officers in Orlando, Fla. more »
- Cloverdale Rodeo 'racist attack' investigated
- Aboriginal woman settles lawsuit over 3½ years solitary confinement
- One dead as floatplane overturns in Bute Inlet
- B.C. mine's temporary foreign workers case dismissed
- B.C. teachers win fight over political posters in schools
- B.C. girl killed after 11-year-old crashes jeep
- Illegal tree cutting nets charges for arborist, homeowners
- Kamloops man skydives for 90th birthday
- Motorcyclist dead after head-on crash on Lions Gate Bridge