'Free baby' ad online sparks Victoria police investigation
The Canadian Press
Posted: Sep 11, 2012 7:40 AM PT
Last Updated: Sep 11, 2012 10:05 AM PT
It may have been a hoax or a joke, but police in Victoria are investigating anyway after someone posted an ad online offering a free baby.
The posting included a picture of the infant and said the parents wanted to give the child away because times are hard.
Victoria Police Constable Michael Russell says officers are trying to track down the parents and confirm that no child is at risk.
The ad was quickly removed from the Used Victoria website.
Latest British Columbia News Headlines
- B.C. co-op fights federal 'local' food guideline changes
- The Kootenay Co-op in Nelson, B.C., is fighting federal government changes to what is considered 'local food.' more »
- What kind of home can $380,588 buy?
- The national average price for a home rose to $380,588 in April 2013, an increase of 1.3 per cent from the previous year. But what can a house hunter expect to find for that price? more »
- Children driven around too much, Canadian report suggests
- Fewer Canadian kids are commuting by walking or biking as a new report reveals a marked decline among young people using active modes of transportation. more »
- Abbotsford police seek hit-run witnesses
- Abbotsford police are looking for witnesses after a hit-and-run accident in the Fraser Valley community. more »
Top News Headlines
- Oklahoma tornado recovery work begins after deadly storm
- Recovery efforts are underway after a tornado flattened two elementary schools and many homes south of Oklahoma City, leaving 24 people dead, including seven children. U.S. President Barack Obama responds by promising federal aid and other help. more »
- 'Upset' Harper wants fast Senate spending reform
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper told the Conservative caucus this morning that he's "upset" about the recent conduct of some senators and members of his own office, and he wants Senate spending rules tightened quickly. more »
- Horwath says NDP will support Ontario Liberal budget
- NDP Leader Andrea Horwath says the party will support the Liberal budget, avoiding a spring election. more »
- Keith Boag: Have you heard about the murderous abortion doctor?
- The gruesome trial and murder conviction of Philadelphia abortion provider Dr. Kermit Gosnell is unlikely to change American abortion law, Keith Boag writes. But it has U.S. journalists questioning their priorities and how they cover such a sensitive issue. more »
- Schoolchildren describe Oklahoma tornado terror
- Schoolchildren and their teachers got a sudden lesson in survival after Monday's deadly tornado levelled two schools in Oklahoma City and nearby Moore, Okla. more »
- B.C. man feared kidnapped in Mexico
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- Vancouver man attacked, killed in Costa Rica
- Vancouver link to Hadfield's space guitar
- Nanaimo Facebook group takes aim at thieves
- Petition looks to rename Victoria Day
- Bid to re-open Langley Speedway
- Public raising funds to buy alleged Rob Ford crack video
- East Vancouver residents in 'guerrilla gardening' campaign