Fisheries changes attacked in prestigious Science journal
Three B.C. scientists join fight in questioning evidence driving changes in budget bill
The Canadian Press
Posted: Jun 22, 2012 7:01 AM PT
Last Updated: Jun 22, 2012 3:05 PM PT
Three scientists from B.C. have used an internationally prestigious journal to launch an attack against changes to the federal Fisheries Act currently before the Senate.
In a letter published online Thursday in the journal "Science," the scientists from Simon Fraser University criticize cutbacks at eco-toxicology labs and an aquatic research facility and changes to the act itself, saying the government's rationale for making the changes is not supported by fact.
The changes are part of the omnibus budget bill known as Bill C-38, which passed third reading in the House of Commons earlier this week but has not yet become law.
The Department of Fisheries and Oceans did not respond to a request for comment on the letter.
"Where it seems that the evidence doesn't support the claims, it's important that people look at that and make the leaders aware of that, and continue to call out that we do value evidence and we do value effective management of the country," said Brett Favaro, a PhD student at the university.
"So that's where this really comes from is looking at the data and making sure we are making the best decisions based on the data."
According to the bill currently before the Senate, the amended act would only apply to major waterways and only to prohibit "serious harm" to a commercial, recreational or aboriginal fishery.
"Serious harm" is defined as death or permanent damage to habitat.
The changes would also give the federal government more leeway to allow exceptions.
Changes 'not supported by evidence'
The Conservative government has argued the legislation has been applied indiscriminately against ditches and other structures unlikely to bear fish and as a result has interfered with landowners and farmers, write Favaro, and SFU biology professors John Reynolds and Isabelle Cote, citing Parliamentary debates.
The government has also argued that removing habitat protection would enable Canadians to undertake activities on their properties without obtrusive interference, the scientists add.
But they write that the reasons for making those changes are not supported by evidence.
In fact, the scientists write that between 2006 and 2011, only one proposal reviewed by the federal environmental assessment process was rejected because of potential destruction to fish habitat.
And of 1,283 convictions under the Fisheries Act announced in media releases between 2007 and 2011, only 21 pertained to the destruction of fish habitat, write the scientists.
"Ours is the first, to my knowledge, quantitative assessment, where we actually looked at the data and figured out what they're saying," said Favaro.
He said he hopes politicians will review the bill because of public concern.
During the past 100 years, the country has lost about one-seventh of its wetlands, and it continues to lose them, a fact that will eventually lead to the loss of fish, he added.
Ex-ministers also concerned
The letter by the three scientists will also appear in the hardcopy edition of "Science" on Friday.
Four former fisheries ministers — two Conservative and two Liberal — said in an open letter last month they don't believe the government of Stephen Harper has given a good explanation for including environmental provisions in a budget bill.
"We find it troubling that the government is proposing to amend the Fisheries Act via omnibus budget legislation in a manner that we believe will inevitably reduce and weaken the habitat protection provisions," wrote Tom Siddon, David Anderson, John Fraser and Herb Dhaliwal.
All former ministers are from British Columbia.
Recently, Canada's only marine-mammal toxicologist, Peter Ross, announced he'd be losing his job at the Institute of Ocean Sciences on Vancouver Island because of federal budget cuts at Fisheries and Oceans.
The Fisheries Department will be slashing about 400 positions from its 11,000-strong workforce.
Latest British Columbia News Headlines
- Pickup truck backs up over mother, 2 children in tent
- A 20-year-old woman has been arrested for allegedly backing her pickup truck over a mother and two children who were sleeping in a tent at a campsite in northeastern B.C. more »
- Johnsons Landing homes must be abandoned, says report
- A new geotechnical report on the Johnsons Landing landslide has concluded as many as 18 properties could be hit by another slide and residents will likely never be able to return home. more »
- The Centre for Performing Arts will not be missed, theatre critic says
- While some see the pending sale of The Centre for Performing Arts as a loss for Vancouver's arts scene, UBC theatre professor and theatre critic Jerry Wasserman says the theatre never lived up to its lofty expectations. more »
- Flood watch underway in central B.C. Interior
- Several communities in B.C.'s central Interior are watching for signs of flooding after days of heavy rain. more »
Top News Headlines
- Duffy says he wants to give Canadians "full story"
- Senator Mike Duffy says he wants a "full and open" inquiry so Canadians can get all the facts about the scandal that has rocked the Senate and the Prime Minister's Office and that he has no plans to resign. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- Chat about the rise of binge TV watching on Thursday 7 p.m.
- After a seven year hiatus, Netflix is set to release a new season of Arrested Development -- and some fans are already predicting they'll watch all 15 episodes in one sitting. This week on CBC Live Online, host Lauren O'Neil will speak with a panel of guests and viewers like you about the rise of binge TV watching. Harmless hobby or horrible habit? more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- B.C. teen saves pet dog in 'terrifying' cougar attack
- Vancouver man abandons Porsche on B.C. ferry
- 750 homes sliding away in Quesnel, B.C.
- Plumber's car explodes near Vancouver apartments
- Flood watch underway in central B.C. Interior
- New West parkade a blight on revitalized waterfront
- Man stabbed in Vancouver
- 2 men found in Kalamalka Lake near Vernon, B.C.
- Adrian Dix to stay on as B.C. NDP leader despite election loss