Woman's body found after fall from hang-glider
Posted: Apr 28, 2012 2:46 PM PT
Last Updated: Apr 30, 2012 12:18 PM PT
Search and rescue crews in British Columbia have found the body of a young woman who fell to her death while hang-gliding, west of Agassiz in B.C.'s Fraser Valley Saturday afternoon.Mount Woodside, B.C.
The woman had been riding with an instructor off Mount Woodside on a tandem hang-glider when she plunged to her death, according to police.
Jason Warner, the safety director with the Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association of Canada, said the accident happened within 30 seconds of takeoff and the woman likely fell "hundreds of feet."
He said the cause of the accident has not been determined.
"There's so many variables ... until the police and the pilot do an investigation on the equipment, we don't really understand how it can happen. It can be anything from equipment failure to pilot error, so at this moment there's no knowledge of what has actually happened," Warner said.
"The pilot is an experienced pilot [with] well over a decade of experience with this kind of thing and he's in shock."
Warner said it was the woman's first time hang gliding.
"[A fall is] very uncommon ... to the best of our knowledge, something of this degree has never occurred, at least locally," he said.
RCMP Sgt. Mark Pelz said crash landings are not uncommon, but this is the first accident he's been involved in where a person became detached in the air.
"This is a sport that is very self-governed, this is an area that they commonly use and unfortunately accident occur and that's hopefully what this is," he said.
Mounties and WorkSafeBC are investigating.
Latest British Columbia News Headlines
- Adrian Dix to speak to media for first time since NDP loss
- Embattled B.C. NDP Leader Adrian Dix is slated to speak to the media this afternoon following a week of silence after last week's surprise election defeat. more »
- Blood donation ban lifted for some gay, bisexual men
- Health Canada will allow gay men to donate blood if they haven't had sex with a man in the last five years, a change in policy to take effect in the coming weeks. more »
- Fentanyl-related deaths spark warning in Prince George
- Mounties in Prince George, B.C., are warning drug users about the powerful prescription opiate fentanyl which has turned up on the city's streets. more »
- Residents allowed home after gas leak, fire in Mission
- Residents of about 20 homes in Mission, B.C., have been allowed to return after a gas leak and fire forced their evacuation. more »
Top News Headlines
- Video forensics: How easy would it be to fake a Rob Ford video?
- Two media outlets reported last week that they had seen a cellphone video of Mayor Rob Ford allegedly smoking crack, a claim that has gone global. If a video does surface, how easy would it be to determine its authenticity? CBC News asked video forensic analyst David McKay. more »
- Oklahoma residents begin to return home after deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Xbox One: A closer look
- The design, performance, Kinect camera, controller, requirements and limitations of Microsoft's Xbox One get a critical look. more »
- Boil water advisory in effect across Montreal
- A boil water advisory is in effect for much of Montreal, including all areas south of the Métropolitaine, from LaSalle to Pointe-aux-Trembles and including the borough of Anjou. more »
- Cloverdale Rodeo 'racist attack' investigated
- Aboriginal woman settles lawsuit over 3½ years solitary confinement
- One dead as floatplane overturns in Bute Inlet
- B.C. mine's temporary foreign workers case dismissed
- B.C. teachers win fight over political posters in schools
- B.C. girl killed after 11-year-old crashes jeep
- Illegal tree cutting nets charges for arborist, homeowners
- Kamloops man skydives for 90th birthday
- Motorcyclist dead after head-on crash on Lions Gate Bridge