The rookie Vancouver cop who reported the police beatings of three suspected drug dealers in Stanley Park two years ago has given more vivid testimony at the public hearing into the case.

Cst. Gabriel Kojima – on right
(File photo)
All six officers involved pleaded guilty in court to the assaults. Four of them were disciplined and demoted. Two others – Constables Gabriel Kojima and Duncan Gemmell – were fired.

Gemmell and Kojima requested the public hearing in an effort to get their jobs back.

Const. Troy Peters told the inquiry that Const. Raymond Gardner told the first victim, Barry Lawrie, that people on Granville Street were "tired of drug dealers," and that "the police own Granville Street and it's now time for alternative measures."

Const. Duncan Gemmell
(File photo)
Then he said Lawrie was repeatedly punched and kicked, and was soon followed by the second victim, Jason Desjardin.

"People started to punch," said Peters. "It was a flurry of punches. After being struck several times, he then fell to the ground. He was on his back with his hands to his head. Then they began to kick him."

Peters said he was then pulled aside by his partner, and told he might want to "take a walk" because the worst was yet to come.

The third beating victim, Grant Wilson, was then removed from the police wagon. And Peters said the officers told Wilson that he had "no respect for police authority and it was time for him to learn a lesson."

Peters said he began to walk away, but not before seeing Constable Gabriel Kojima raise his baton and strike Wilson, sending him to the ground.

Peters testified that after the beatings, all the officers went back to the police station for a debriefing. It was there he said they talked about alternate stories to account for the victims' injuries.

And he said he kept quiet for a time, fearing for his own safety.

But the president of the Vancouver Police Union, Tom Stamatakis, rejects the idea that Const. Peters had anything to worry about.

"I absolutely disagree with a statement like that. And I think we have demonstrated as an organization and as a profession time and time again, that that's not the case," he says

"I don't think that there have been any repercussions for Constable Peters."

Peters now faces cross-examination. And he's expected to remain on the stand for the rest of the week.

His story is in stark contrast to testimony last week by another officer who told the inquiry he didn't see any beatings.