Stanley Cup riot guilty plea entered by ex-beauty queen
Accused in 2011 Vancouver riot a former pageant Miss Congeniality
A former Miss Congeniality in a Vancouver beauty pageant has entered a guilty plea for her role in the 2011 Stanley Cup riot following the Canucks' home loss to the Boston Bruins.
Sophie Laboissonniere was charged with breaking and entering and participating in a riot after allegedly looting the downtown London Drugs store after the final game of the NHL playoffs.
On Monday, her lawyer, David Baker, appeared in Vancouver provincial court on her behalf and entered a guilty plea to the riot charge. Baker said he expects the second charge of breaking and entering will now be stayed by Crown prosecutors.
Baker said Laboissonniere didn't appear in court to avoid facing media, but she will appear for a sentencing hearing May 27.
"At this point I suggested it would be more appropriate that I appear for her," he said.
Laboissonniere was 20 years old when she participated in the Stanley Cup riot, which resulted in charges against 173 people. The Richmond resident gained notoriety because she had been a contestant in the Miss Coastal Vancouver pageant.
She was the second riot suspect to enter a guilty plea, but her case was held up while her lawyer fought successfully to keep media cameras out of the courtroom.
"She's received a level of notoriety that goes way beyond the offence she committed. She's stuck with that for a long time, so she's gone through a range of emotions," said Baker on Monday.
The judge ordered a pre-sentencing report with a psychological analysis.