Sex contest intercepted at B.C. school
Officials at a Surrey, B.C., high school are warning parents about a so-called game that senior male students had been playing online that made a contest out of trying to have sex with Grade 8 girls.
Officials at Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary said they learned of the competition through some pages on the Facebook social networking website and through interviews with students.
"It was learned that a small group of senior boys were making a "game" of sorts to try to seduce Grade 8 girls," principal Allan Buggie said in a letter sent May 10 to the parents of Grade 11 and 12 boys.
A similar warning letter was also sent to the homes of Grade 8 girls.
"It's not known how many Grade 8 girls may have actually been involved in any way with this activity," that letter said.
Today's teens: Are children growing up too fast?
Grade 11 student Jacob Town said he was aware of the competition.
"The seniors try to sleep with the most junior girls they possibly can," he said.
"I have a younger sister. It's kind of gross that guys would do that."
Counsellors brought in
An organization called SafeTeen was brought in and had counsellors meet and hold workshops with all Grade 8 girls at the school, Buggie said.
SafeTeen founder Anita Roberts said her program is not anti-sex, but makes girls aware of their options.
"We teach them to listen to their intuition and to wake up to the moment," said Roberts. "Not to be in denial or to ignore it, but to face it, and to speak their truth."
Roberts said the contest was a case of "how many notches in the belt" each boy could get.
"They called it the 'LGS Club,'" she said. "The Little Girls Slayers.'"
The senior boys have also been made aware of their legal obligations under the Criminal Code, the school said.
Surrey RCMP Const. Peter Neily said the boys' activities could involve serious offences.
"A 13-year-old, if they engage in sexual activity with someone, let's say 17 [years old] … they are entering into a situation where consent cannot lawfully be given and it is a sexual assault," said Neily.
No one has been charged.
With files from the CBC's Susana da Silva