Saskatoon man sentenced to 8 years for sexual assault, robbery of students near University of Victoria

David Hope was convicted of sex assault, break and enter, forcible confinement and robbery after attacking two women near UVic in 2016.

David Hope of Saskatoon was convicted of sex assault, break and enter, forcible confinement and robbery

Police released this surveillance photo of a man, now confirmed to be David Hope of Saskatoon, after the attack on Jan. 27, 2016. Two international students living near the University of Victoria were sexually assaulted and robbed. (Saanich Police)

A Saskatchewan man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for robbing and sexually assaulting two women in what police called an "extremely disturbing" attack near the University of Victoria.

David Hope, 45, forced his way into the students' ground floor apartment on Jan 27, 2016, and assaulted them inside.

After the attack, the Saskatoon man herded both women — international students in their 20s — to a bank machine and forced them to withdraw money.

He fled but was arrested and charged in Saskatoon a few months later. He was brought back to stand trial in Victoria.

A B.C. Supreme Court judge sentenced him on charges of break and enter, robbery, unlawful confinement and sexual assault last week. Less time served, Hope will spend five years and one month behind bars.

Acting Sgt. Jereme Leslie of Saanich police said the "extremely disturbing" incident was traumatizing to the victims and community.

"I think the entire community was shocked by these events," said Leslie. "And certainly that area of the community was definitely fearful and feeling uneasy in their own homes."

With files from Megan Thomas and the Canadian Press