Jackie Kai Ellis is trying to brighten the mood — especially after March of 2017 is now known as "the gloomiest month" on record since record keeping began.
Ellis owns Beaucoup Bakery and Cafe, and part of her mission is to use local ingredients in season. And right now, local honey is abundant.
The renowned baker is using honey from the non-profit Hives for Humanity.
The organization sets up hives across Vancouver's many different neighbourhoods, each producing its own unique blend.
For a limited time the bakery is offering a few unique treats inspired by the local taste. They have a honey tarragon cheesecake with fresh grapefruit, a honey banana croissant, a lamb prosciutto sandwich — and the following recipe for roasted honey miso eggplant flat bread.
Roasted honey miso eggplant flatbread with fresh zucchini salad
- 6 squares (about 5"x5") puff pastry dough (or croissant dough if you have it)
- Egg wash (1 egg with 1 tbsp of cream, mixed well)
- Roasted eggplants and onions (recipe below)
- Honey miso sauce (recipe below)
- Zucchini salad (recipe below)
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Green shiso leaves
- Sansho powder(Japanese pepper)
Method: Preheat oven to 425 F. Score a 1" frame inside the pastry so that there is a border. Dock the inside of the frame and egg wash around the edges.
Bake for 5 minutes, turn heat down to 375 F and bake for another 5 minutes. Take out the pastry, and place 1/3 cup of roasted eggplants and onions on top of each square and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until edges are golden brown.
Cool tartes to room temperature. Drizzle about 2 teaspoons miso sauce onto each tarte, top with zucchini salad, seasame seeds, green shiso leaves, and sansho powder.
Ingredients: Miso Honey Sauce
- 2/3 cup organic red miso paste
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp Liquid dark honey
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp Water
Method: In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients until combined.
Ingredients: Roasted Eggplants and Onions
- 3 medium Chinese eggplants, cut into 1 cm rounds
- 2 medium onions, julienned
- 1 cup honey miso sauce (recipe above)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Method: Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss miso sauce and olive oil with vegetables to evenly coat. Spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer. Roast for 10 minutes, toss, and roast for another 5-10 minutes to caramelize.
Ingredients: Zucchini Salad
- Half of a medium zucchini squash, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- 3 large green shiso leaves, chiffonade
Method: Toss ingredients together to evenly coat, use immediately.
With files from CBC's Our Vancouver