The Asian night market in Richmond will reopen Friday night as planned, but a major part of the popular attraction will be missing.
Operator Paul Cheung told CBC News he has spent about $500,000 over the past two weeks to get the site ready for opening night, but the plumbing for the food court isn't ready yet
Cheung says the problems should be worked out by mid- to late June, but in the meantime, there will be regular carnival-type food available.
"There are going to be self-contained stands that will provide food," said Cheung. "I think a lot of the Asian foods are affected, but in terms of other foods — the mini donut truck [for example] — they're all going to be there. So its not completely like there's no food."
The previous version of the night market, run by a different operator, was one of the biggest summer events in Richmond, attracting more than 10,000 people a night with its discount shopping and a range of hot Asian food.
But the operators shut down the night market last year, saying high rents made it impossible to keep operating.
Cheung is still hoping for a good crowd for his opening night and hopes the spotlight will be on the other attractions, including the shopping.