Reena Virk's body was found eight days after she was swarmed and beaten by a group of teenagers on Nov. 14, 1997. (CBC)

One of two Victoria-area residents convicted of Reena Virk's murder has been released on parole.

Warren Glowatski was convicted of second-degree murder for the death of the teenager in 1999.

At a hearing on Wednesday at the Ferndale institution in Mission, B.C., members of the National Parole Board said Glowatski does not pose an undue risk to the public.

The board imposed several restrictions on Glowatski, including that he not use intoxicants, have no association with known criminals and must report to a parole officer.

Glowatski, who was 17 at the time of the murder, was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for seven years. He was granted day parole in 2007.

He has since been living part time in an apartment and going to school but told the board that he finds it tough being outside prison, trying to find a job.

He also said he felt like he had a big letter "C," for criminal, tattooed on his forehead.

Ellard still in prison

Glowatski's co-accused, Kelly Ellard, has stood trial three times in connection with Virk's death.

In 2000, she was convicted of second-degree murder, but three years later, the B.C. Court of Appeal ordered a new trial.


Kelly Ellard was found guilty of second-degree murder in April 2005, at her third trial. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

Ellard was convicted of second-degree murder at that trial, but the B.C. Court of Appeal ordered a fourth trial in 2008.

In June 2009, the Supreme Court of Canada upheld Ellard's second-degree murder conviction so the fourth trial never took place. Ellard was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for seven years and remains in prison.

Reena Virk was 14 when she was swarmed and beaten under a bridge in Saanich on Vancouver Island, B.C., by a group of teenagers, mainly girls in November 1997.

She managed to get away, but Glowatski and Ellard dragged her back and beat her again, leaving her for dead in Victoria's Gorge waterway. Police found her body eight days later.

Glowatski later testified that he watched Ellard drown Virk.

Three girls pleaded guilty and three more were convicted in connection with the beating that preceded the murder.