Random attacker in Prince Rupert targeted 11-year-old girl
RCMP held emergency meeting with school officials, reached out to community's parents
RCMP on B.C.'s North Coast are warning their community about a random attack, in which a man tried to drag a girl off the street and into the bushes.
Const. Matthew Ericson said the 11-year-old Prince Rupert girl was walking home from a friend's house at around 7 p.m. PT Thursday and had reached the intersection of Drake Crescent and Prince Rupert Boulevard when the assault happened.
"Once near this intersection an unknown male grabbed the young girl from behind and began to pull her into some nearby bushes. At some point the suspect tripped and fell, providing the opportunity for the victim to run away," he said.
The girl's friends found her unharmed, screaming for help.
Because the man grabbed her from behind, the girl didn't get a good look at him, but told police he was young, and was wearing dark clothing and sunglasses.
Ericson said police are taking the incident very seriously, and began alerting school officials and parents right away.
"Last week, we did have an emergency meeting with the superintendent of School District 52 and immediately informed all the admin staff within the school district, along with sending a synrevoice [automated] message system out to all parents of students within Prince Rupert," he told CBC News.
Police are asking people to report anyone acting suspiciously around young people.
With files from the CBC's Wil Fundal