On the Island
Friday February 24, 2017
BC has stopped Cobble Hill Holdings Quarry from accepting contaminated soil, near Shawnigan Lake. Local residents worried it could contaminate their drinking water. Environment minister Mary Polak told Gregor Craigie why the decision was made.
Friday February 24, 2017
The Victoria Fire Department is pairing with the Canadian Mental Health Association to help prevent post-traumatic stress among first responders facing a 10-fold increase in overdose calls.
Tuesday January 31, 2017
Audio Does the turmoil over a contaminated soil dump near Shawnigan Lake point to problems with B.C. environmental assessments?
A conversation with Calvin Sandborn, the Legal Director at the University of Victoria's Environmental Law Centre.
Friday January 27, 2017
Martyn Brown, Elizabeth Cull, and Norman Spector discuss the BC Job Plan and raw log exports, the Shawnigan Lake contaminated soil court ruling, and BC Hydro's debt.
Marketsquare features local listings and deals from CBC partners
- UN lawyer to visit Manitoba to observe influx of asylum seekers
- Tax-free saving schemes fail to prepare many for retirement: Don Pittis
- 'You can lose everything': Tenant's medical marijuana grow-op costs landlord insurance
- Universal public coverage of essential drugs would improve health care, research suggests
- Rotting rats, flies: Insurance repair disaster causes 'mega destruction' of dream home
- 'I just want my family': Woman says innocent paperwork error dashes immigration dreams
- Doctor who won't use 'monster' methadone loses right to treat opioid addicts
- 'I can't live like this anymore': B.C. woman requiring home support hasn't had bath in weeks
- Britain's opposition 'in deep trouble' as Conservatives take 1 of 2 byelection seats
- Plenty of budget remedies offered as Liberals prepare prescription for ailing economy: Chris Hall
- Liberal backbenchers, Tory leadership hopefuls among Parliament's biggest dissenters
- 'Feeling squeezed out': Will a move to save Vancouver's housing past compromise its future?
- NDP leadership candidates ready to 'fight like hell,' despite slow start to race
- Finance Canada turning to dial-testing focus group for gut reactions to 2017 budget
- Do Canada's Conservatives want to join the populism parade?
- Goodale rejects former colleague's claim of long waits by Manitoba asylum seekers
- MDs under pressure: U.S. Navy SEAL training adapted to help Canadian doctors fight stress
- 'Off-label' antidepressant use lacks evidence, and a link between math skills and your health
- What's in your chicken sandwich? DNA test shows Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken
- Publicly funding dental care could help ease the fentanyl crisis, and more