Someone may be poisoning dogs in a local park, Burnaby RCMP say.

Early Saturday morning, a pet owner reported one of his two dogs became violently ill after chewing on a stick near the Kensington Sports Complex in the Vancouver suburb, Cpl. Alexandra Mulvihill said Saturday.

The man rushed his pet to a veterinarian, but the dog, which had been in perfect health, later died, Mulvihill said.

Police searched the neighbouring park and found a number of sticks, which will be tested to determine if they have been laced with poison, she said.

Mulvihill warned pet owners to stay clear of the park for the time being, and urged anyone whose pet showed symptoms of poisoning to contact Burnaby RCMP.