Oppenheimer Park death not believed to be suspicious say police
Body of man discovered at controversial tent city on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside
Vancouver police say the death of a man, believed to be 69-years-old, in a tent at Vancouver's Oppenheimer Park Wednesday does not look suspicious at this time.
Const. Brian Montague says there are no visible signs of violence or trauma on the man's body and while police still don't know the cause of death, they do not believe it to be suspicious.
The man was found dead in his tent around 11 a.m. PT Wednesday.
Camper Anthony Guitar told CBC News that he knew the man who died, and he was not known to use drugs.
Guitar said the man had not been seen for "two or three days" and that a notice left on his tent two days ago was still there today.
Campers are under a 10 p.m. PT deadline to move out of the unofficial tent city, after the B.C. Supreme Court granted the city an injunction and removal order last week.
Vancouver police have turned over the investigation to the BC Coroner's Service.
With files from Richard Zussman