The streets of Vancouver will soon have more food carts as the city unveiled 12 additions Monday, picked by a panel of judges from 59 applications.

Among the newcomers are a Salvadoran food cart and one that serves up British bacon sandwiches.

 "It was tough," said Kayti Coughlin, of Slingers. "There was a really large business plan that you had to put together. I think ours ended up being about 50, 60 pages."

The new carts will join the 19 carts that made it through last year's process — one that was denounced for using a lottery to whittle down the number of applicants.

There have been complaints from establishment restaurants and other businesses but the food cart program is accomplishing what it was intended to, according to Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.

"It's attracted a lot of international attention, which is fantastic," Robertson said Monday. "We are a city of note in terms of food culture around the world right now."

Despite the popularity, of the program the city plans to license only about  30 more carts over the next two years.

"We're playing it slow because our big concern is we don't want to be putting restaurants out of business," said Vancouver City Councillor Kerry Jang. "We want to provide something different for folks and we want to make sure it's sustainable."

The new carts are scheduled to be in service next month and bring to 103 the number of carts in Vancouver.

 

With files from the CBC's Alan Waterman