A fourth man is facing murder charges in the 2008 double homicide of a Mission, B.C., couple, CBC News has learned.

Tom Robert Holden is facing two charges of first-degree murder in the deaths of Lisa Dudley, 37, and Guthrie Jolan MacKay, 33. Both were shot and their bodies left inside their home in September 2008.

Holden was arrested on Friday and appeared in court on Monday to face the charges.

When he entered the courtroom, he smiled, winked and blew kisses at his wife, who was sitting in the gallery.

Holden is alleged to have hired a gunman to murder Dudley over a dispute with a marijuana grow-op.  

Three people were already facing charges in connection with the deaths. Last week, Bruce Ian Main, 66, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Jack Douglas Woodruff, 53, pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder last year and was sentenced to life in prison without parole for 25 years. Justin Andrew MacKinnon has pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder and is awaiting trial.

"It is believed that Tom Holden played a significant role and worked closely with the co-accused to plan and commit the murder of Lisa Dudley and Guthrie McKay," said Supt. Kevin Hackett, the officer in charge of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

The case has generated controversy because Dudley and MacKay were found inside their home four days after neighbours called 911 to report hearing shots fired. 

The RCMP officer who was first called to the scene never got out of his car, reporting he didn't see anything unusual. In a police review, he was later found guilty of disgraceful conduct and docked one day's pay.

Dudley was found tied to a chair and bleeding from bullet wounds. She died on the way to hospital. MacKay was found dead in the home.

McKay's father, who was in court on Monday, was upset at Holden's seemingly nonchalant entry into the courtroom.

"As a father, I wanted to punch him in the head. I saw no remorse at all," he said.

Dudley's mother, Rosemarie Surakka says the long, drawn out case has been painful for the family. "It should have happened sooner," she said. "It's taken it's toll on us for sure."