B.C. hockey player Matthew Hutchinson killed in apparent murder-suicide

A B.C. college hockey player in New York state died at the hands of a man distraught after the recent breakup of his relationship with a college basketball player, police said Monday.

North Vancouver hockey player found dead with 2 others in a residence in N.Y. state Sunday night

Police in Geneseo, N.Y., say North Vancouver's Matthew Hutchinson, a senior at State University of New York Geneseo, was found dead at a residence on Sunday. (BC Wildfire Service)

A university hockey player from B.C. died at the hands of a man distraught after the recent breakup of his relationship with a woman who played basketball at the same university in New York state, police said Monday.

Matthew Hutchinson, 24, was stabbed to death along with 21-year-old Kelsey Annese at a residence in Geneseo, N.Y., in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Hutchinson, from North Vancouver, was a student at the State University of New York (SUNY) in Geneseo, and also a volunteer firefighter.

Colin Kingston, 24, a former student from Geneseo, was the third person found dead Sunday. He and Annese, captain of the women's basketball team at SUNY, had recently broken up after a three-year relationship, police said Monday.

Kingston allegedly stabbed the two victims with "a large knife" believed to have been purchased at a retail store in the area, before killing himself with the same weapon, police said.

Kingston's father alerted police to the situation in a 911 call at 6:21 a.m. ET, telling the operator that he had received a phone call from his son telling him he had harmed Annese and was considering killing himself.

Police said that Kingston had admitted having suicidal thoughts following his recent breakup, but no one they interviewed had heard him talk of threatening violence.

He was last seen around 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. Saturday night.

Jeffrey Szczesniak, the public information officer for the Geneseo Police Department, said Monday that the attack took place in Annese's bedroom, and there was a possibility the victims were asleep at the time.

There was no sign of a struggle, he said.

Annese's apartment was at the top of a large rental house. There was no sign of forced entry to the building, police said.

None of those involved had a police record.