Maple Batalia murder trial delayed again, family distraught
'It's too much hard for us... Will we ever get justice?'
The father of Maple Batalia, the 19-year-old SFU student who was gunned down in the school's Surrey parkade over four years ago, is distraught that the trial of two men charged in his daughter's death has been delayed again.
"It's beyond explanation," said Harkirat Batalia in a breaking voice. "It's too much hard for us. A long wait has gone more than four and a half years now. Every day we think what will happen, will we ever get any justice? I don't know."
Harkirat Batalia spoke briefly outside of court after learning the start of the trial, which has already been postponed multiple times, was adjourned until Thursday, March 3.
- Maple Batalia family asks for justice at weekend memorial
- Ex-boyfriend charged in shooting death of B.C. teen
- Actress killed in Surrey parkade was an 'angel'
Crown council asked for the delay to fine tune the number of witnesses in order to shorten the length of the trial and make it run more efficiently.
Batalia's ex-boyfriend, Gary Gurjinder Dhaliwal is charged with first degree murder, while another man — Gursimar Bedi — is charged with accessory after the fact and manslaughter. Both men will be tried together.
Batalia was shot Sept. 28, 2011 while walking to her car after a late night study session with friends. The aspiring actress and model died of her injuries in hospital a short time later.
Batalia's family said previously the slow court process has been difficult for them. Last year they started an online petition entitled "Justice for Maple" asking for better victim support and the outlawing of delay tactics often used by accused to postpone a trial, such as switching lawyers.
Dhaliwal was charged in December 2012. His trial has been was originally set to begin a year ago.
With files from Jesse Johnston