Langley RCMP are investigating after an explosion damaged two businesses in the 5700-block of 203a Street on Friday night.
The explosion happened at about 11:30 p.m. The front of a business called All Day Vapes sustained the bulk of the damage, but several windows were also shattered at a vehicle leasing business on floor above the vape, or e-cigarette shop.
"Yup, it was a pretty big blast," said City of Langley's deputy fire chief, Kelly Gilday.
"The windows were blown in the front part of the building and some damage to the soffits and the structure part, but not a lot, and no fire damage at all."
"There was an explosion by the gas meter, and the crews just turned the gas off and went through the buildings to make sure they were safe," he said.
"Yes, it was quite loud, we could hear it from several blocks away. I don't know whether or not there was a flaming ball. We have no reports that there was any type of flame associated with this," said Cpl. Kurt Neuman, with Langley RCMP.
"There were no injuries, that we determined, and right now we have this under investigation."
Explosion investigated as suspicious
All Day Vapes owner Shane Titus, who moved his business to this location in February, said it's fortunate his staff wasn't in the store when the explosion happened.
Titus said he thinks his business may have been targeted, though Cpl. Neuman said it's too early to call this a targeted attack.
Neuman said the explosion is being investigated as suspicious, and the damage to the gas meter at the front of the store is inconsistent with something like a vehicle backing into it. He said possible evidence was gathered from the area around the meter that will be sent for analysis.
As for the all the windows, repairs may come easy — there's a Crystal Glass repair shop right next door.
"I don't think they'll have any problem getting those windows fixed," said Neuman.