Jennifer Cusworth's accused killer wants new trial moved
Neil Snelson won new trial after successfully appealing historical homicide
The man accused of killing a college student almost two decades ago wants his new trial moved from Kelowna.
Jennifer Cusworth was found beaten and strangled after a Kelowna house party in 1993. Eighteen years later, in 2011, Neil George Snelson was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Late last year, the B.C. Court of Appeal set aside that conviction and awarded Snelson a new trial because of prejudicial statements allowed at the original trial.
Today in a Kelowna courtroom, Snelson's lawyer told the judge his client will apply for a change of venue, although he didn't say where he wants the new trial to be.
The victim's mother was in the courtroom for the hearing.
Jean Cusworth says she would prefer if it weren't moved too far away.
"I would prefer it to be in Kamloops," she said.
"If it's at the coast, it's going to be very difficult for witnesses to get down there to do the trial. But I'll go. We'll go live there while the trial is on, if that's necessary."
A hearing for the change of venue application has been set for April 14.
The case sat cold until October 2009, when police arrested Snelson, a married father of four, who was at the same party as Cusworth the night she disappeared.
With files from the CBC's Brady Strachan