Highway 1 reopened in Abbotsford following plane crash

The Trans-Canada Highway has been reopened in the B.C. communities of Abbotsford and Aldergrove this morning following a fatal ultralight airplane crash yesterday afternoon.

Trans-Canada Highway was closed after a fatal ultralight plane crash damaged some power lines

TSB looking at role weather might have played in fatal accident 2:31

The Trans-Canada Highway has been reopened in the B.C. communities of Abbotsford and Aldergrove this morning following a fatal ultralight airplane crash yesterday afternoon.

The Trans-Canada, also known as Highway 1 was closed in both directions overnight between Mt. Lehman and 264th Avenue to allow crews to repair some high-voltage power lines damaged in the crash.

But just before 8 a.m. PT the highway was reopened to westbound traffic. Then just before 8:30 a.m. one eastbound lane was also reopened.

The route was closed to allow BC Hydro crews to deal with the damage caused by the ultralight plane crash to a conductor on a major transmission line, but the wires were not knocked to the ground.

Nevertheless officials say the repairs will be difficult because the damaged conductor is in the middle of a saturated field — meaning a road will likely have to be built to the site before any work can begin.

An electrical outage in the area around Ross Road, south of Highway 1 was fixed by routing power through other grids.

The crash is the second time the Trans-Canada Highway has been closed in the Fraser Valley area in recent days. On Friday a 17-vehicle crash closed the highway for several hours at the Vedder Canal bridge.

Pilot killed in ultralight crash

The highway was closed after one man was killed when the ultralight aircraft he was piloting crashed in northwest Abbotsford, B.C., on Monday afternoon.

The aircraft left Abbotsford airport just before 4:30 p.m. PT on its way to Maple Ridge, but disappeared from control tower radar.

BC Hydro crews work to repair damage to a high-volt power line transmission tower following a plane crash in Abbotsford on Monday afternoon. (CBC)

Abbotsford police said they were alerted to a possible problem when the aircraft started emitting a beacon signal shortly afterwards from somewhere in northwest Abbotsford.

Police, two search and rescue teams, and a CFBComox Cormorant helicopter began searching for the aircraft, but were hampered by darkness, heavy rain and forested, rural terrain.

Just after 9 p.m., searchers found the plane wreckage and the pilot in an area south of Highway 1 near Ross Road.

The circumstances of the crash and the identity of the deceased are not yet known.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.