A man is in police custody after two women were killed in a hit and run in Coquitlam, B.C. — including a Good Samaritan who had stopped to help after an earlier crash.

The detained man has been identified as a Coquitlam resident who is 37, but police say his name will not be released until he has been officially charged.

Police will not say whether the man turned himself in.

Charlene Reavley, 30, and Lorraine Cruz, 26, were killed when they were hit by a white Jeep Cherokee on Lougheed Highway early Saturday. 

'I hope [the driver] pays, but I doubt that he will. And I'm sure that whatever judgment is given, it won't equal the crime."


—Michael Bennett

Police say Reavley, a mother of four, had stopped to help Cruz and her boyfriend, 28, after their car hit a concrete median.

The two women were pronounced dead at the scene. The man was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

The driver of the Jeep fled and the vehicle was later recovered in the Cape Horn area.

Victims mourned

Cruz's stepfather, Michael Bennett, said he loved the young woman like a daughter.

"Lorraine was a girl that opened her heart to everybody and she has friends that scan the whole spectrum of age," he said. "She could connect with anybody. She was so open and so loving."

Bennett said the family, who live in Montreal, flew to Vancouver as soon as they got the news.

"Her mother couldn't talk ... she still can't talk, she's totally devastated. Her brothers, her sister, the same."

Bennett said he can't understand how the driver could have fled from the scene of the accident.

"I think it's terrible. I've been to the scene, I don't understand how it could have happened. They were well off the road," he said.

"I hope [the driver] pays, but I doubt that he will. And I'm sure that whatever judgment is given, it won't equal the crime."

Joe Digiandomenico, one of Reavley's neighbours, said the community is in shock.

"She's a hero. She is a hero, in everybody's eyes. She's a hero," he said. "She died because she was being a hero helping someone else. She was always willing to be there for everybody."

The driver is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.