A Global Television news reporter facing allegations of sexual abuse involving a minor is the subject of a large police investigation.

Journalist Ron Bencze, a 44-year-old married father of three, has been charged with sexual assault and sexual interference with a person under the age of 16.

A provincial court hearing into the matter was held Monday morning in Surrey.

Outside of court, Crown Prosecutor Jennifer Lopes told reporters the investigation is huge and many children are being interviewed.

Surrey RCMP Corp. Drew Grainger said the investigation surrounding the sexual abuse charges is revealing new information.  

 "I can't say there have been any more [possible] victims identified. All I can say we are learning new information all the time as this investigation evolves and we are in constant dialogue with crown counsel as this investigation is being revealed," Grainger said.

Investigators with the RCMP's child exploitation unit are actively involved in the probe, according to police.

Bencze, who had been actively involved in the community and soccer coaching, did not attend the court hearing.  Instead, he was represented by a lawyer.

He is set to be back in court at the end of February.

Bencze has been a television reporter with Global BC since 2004. Before that, he worked as a crime reporter for a radio station.

Bencze is out on bail and has been suspended with pay from Global Television. He has said he will "vigorously defend" himself against the charges.