A fire destroyed the old Skeena Hotel in Terrace on Wednesday morning. ((Submitted by Wanda Simpson))

Flames ripped through a low-income housing hotel in northern B.C. early Wednesday morning, destroying the old Skeena Hotel in Terrace.

Fire Chief Pete Weeber said the building was evacuated, and no one was injured, but the fire still created a dangerous situation for firefighters.

"The fire was in the basement area, only one stairwell in and out. We were very hesitant to go very deep in that building. [It was] nowhere near current building standards, just a very dangerous building, a building we call a 'firefighter killer,'" said Weeber.

The fire was under control by 9 a.m. according to Wanda Simpson, who works at the Best Western Hotel nearby.

The fire comes less than a month after another at a hotel offering low-income housing in northern B.C. On Aug. 19, a faulty clothes dryer sparked a fire that destroyed the Columbus Hotel  in downtown Prince George, killing three men, and leaving many other people homeless.


  • The fire destroyed the old Skeena Hotel in Terrace, not Prince Rupert, as originally stated in the photo cutline.
    Sep 10, 2008 8:45 PM PT