Father in B.C. abduction case criticizes courts
'The judges and the system failed us'
The father of Kienan Hebert, the three-year-old boy who was miraculously returned after being abducted last week, is criticizing the Canadian justice system for failing to keep his son safe.
Paul Hebert said the man police believe took his child, Randall Hopley, was a known danger but the courts failed to keep him under control.
"Hopley was out for a reason, because someone didn't do their job right, and it was not the police," said Hebert.
"The police wanted him in, but the judges and the system failed us. Hopley needs help," he said.
Kienan was taken from his family’s home in Sparwood, B.C., a small mountain town located near the Alberta border, last week.
His family discovered he was missing on Sept. 7 and police issued an Amber Alert in B.C. The Amber Alert was extended to an "information alert" in Alberta on Saturday.
A massive search that included 60 investigators, several roadblocks and hundreds of volunteers failed to locate the boy or his alleged abductor.
However, following an emotional plea from his family, Kienan was returned to his home early Sunday morning by Hopley, police say. Someone also placed a 911 call around 3 a.m. MT instructing RCMP to check out the Hebert house.
Police found the boy inside sleeping and contacted his family. Hospital staff said Kienan appeared to be unharmed.
The search continued Tuesday for Hopley with a heavy police presence and roadblocks. The 46-year-old has a long criminal record and police said he is likely nearby.
The local elementary school was locked down and children were not allowed outside without supervision. Many parents said they were worried.
Police have also said an attempted abduction of another child in the area occurred shortly before Kienan was taken.
Hopley’s mother, Margaret Fink, urged her son to turn himself in.
"I want him to come home and we’ll do some talking together," she said. "Randy, please come home."
Fink also said she worried her son could be the target of vigilante justice.
House left unlocked
Many have wondered how someone could return to the Hebert home, which was empty and cordoned off by police, with a toddler and leave again without being seen.
On Monday, Paul Hebert told the media the doors were left unlocked and the house was unguarded.
For Hebert, questions about the investigation are secondary to the fact that his son was returned.
"If there was police watching, Hopley probably wouldn’t have dropped him off here," he said. "Who knows the circumstances, who cares?"
Police remain tight-lipped about the case, saying any information leaked to the media will likely reach Hopley and give him an advantage.
The case is unprecedented, police say.