Donovan Adams arrested in sex attack on 9-year-old Surrey girl

A 23-year-old Surrey man is facing charges of kidnapping, sexual assault and sexual interference in connection with a sexual assault on a nine-year-old girl who was lured out her bedroom window last week
23-year-old Donovan Adams accused of abducting and assaulting a 9-year-old girl 1:49

A nine-year-old girl who was lured from her bedroom last week, abducted and then sexually assaulted provided some of the evidence that helped police identify a suspect, Surrey RCMP say.

This young girl was very brave. She helped us catch this man- Surrey RCMP Supt. Trent Rolfe

Donovan Christopher Adams, a 23-year-old Surrey, B.C., man, is facing charges of kidnapping, sexual assault and sexual interference in connection with the abduction and sexual assault. He is also charged with with breaking and entering.

Surrey RCMP Supt. Trent Rolfe said Adams didn't know the girl.

At a new conference called to announce the arrest,  Rolfe told reporters the little girl "was very brave."

Surrey RCMP Supt. Trent Rolfe holds a news conference to announce the arrest of 23-year-old Adams in connection with the sexual assault and abduction last week. (CBC)

"She helped us catch this man," he said. "Just her inner strength, the way she was able to describe these events and some of the detail that allowed our investigators to go seek out those pieces of evidence and point us to the right guy."

Rolfe said considering the circumstances, the girl is doing extremely well. 

Last week police reported the girl was lured out of the family home where she had been sleeping, taken to a nearby park and sexually assaulted.

After the assault, police said, the child was taken to a nearby yard and told to stay there while the suspect fled. The girl ran to her home and alerted her mother, sparking a massive manhunt in the neighbourhood.

Police dogs were brought out to Robson Park in Surrey, B.C., to help search for evidence and signs of the perpetrator after the nine-year-old was sexually assaulted. (CBC)

Police said officers spotted Adams a day later in Robson Park, the same place the girl was taken and attacked.

Rolfe said although the suspect didn't know the girl, he had the opportunity.

"Much as we discussed on those hot nights,... insecure windows, insecure doors.... It just allowed him that opportunity," he said. "We don’t know what made him aware of her presence or that maybe she was vulnerable."

He also said home video played a role in the arrest.

"As you see in a lot of investigations, we do a lot of neighbourhood canvassing," he said. "There’s a lot of people who keep security cameras for their own personal safety. And so a lot of the neighbourhood,... they all came together to help us."

It's not the first time Adams is alleged to have entered someone else's house without permission. A search of provincial court records shows he was previously charged in February 2013 with "unlawfully being in a dwelling house" and mischief.

Adams made his first court appearance this afternoon in Surrey provincial court.

With files from Meera Bains