Texting and driving is a stupid combination, and now Vancouver Police are using a social media campaign called #stupidcombos to get the public to focus on the roads instead of their smartphones.
But as the CBC's Theresa Lalonde found out, the humourous campaign has a serious point.
6 facts about distracted driving:
- Distracted driving is the third leading cause of motor vehicle fatalities in B.C., behind impaired driving and speeding.
- Distracted driving is the cause of 25% of fatal car crashes involving youth aged 16 to 21 years old.
- Every year, on average, 31 people die in the Lower Mainland in distracted driving related crashes.
- 800 distracted driving tickets are written each month in Vancouver.
- Texting while driving makes a collision 23 times more likely to happen.
- Talking on a cell phone makes a collision four times more likely to happen.