Carbon monoxide exposure sends over 40 to hospital in Delta, B.C.

More than 40 people exposed to carbon monoxide in a greenhouse in Delta, B.C., on Saturday were taken to hospital. Thirty-two people were in stable condition and 10 in "serious to critical" condition.

10 in 'serious to critical' condition after exposure in a greenhouse at Windset Farms in Ladner

Officials say more than 40 people were taken to hospital after carbon monoxide exposure at Windset Farms in Delta, B.C., on Saturday. Ten people were in 'serious to critical' condition. (Google Maps)

More than 40 people exposed to carbon monoxide in a greenhouse in Delta, B.C., on Saturday were taken to hospital.

B.C. Emergency Health Services said 13 ambulances responded to the incident. Thirty-two people were in stable condition and 10 in "serious to critical" condition.

The incident happened at Windset Farms in the Ladner area, according to the Delta Fire Department.

Deputy Chief Guy McKintuck said it appears combustion-powered pressure washers being used in an insufficiently ventilated area.

 "[Our crews] weren't sure what it was at first, but through their investigation, they quickly realized that it was a carbon monoxide incident and they acted accordingly," McKintuck said.

WorkSafeBC confirmed it is investigating.

Carbon monoxide — sometimes referred to as CO — is a colourless, odourless gas released as a byproduct of incomplete combustion, toxic to humans and most other animals. CO exposure can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and disorientation, and eventually death.