Cory Monteith's overdose detailed in coroner's report
Spoon with drug residue, hypodermic needle, empty champagne bottles found in actor's hotel room
The Coroners Service of British Columbia has released the final report on the death of Glee star Cory Monteith, describing the circumstances surrounding the 31-year-old actor's death.
Investigators at the scene found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses, the report said.
Monteith died from mixed drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol.
The coroner said the fact that Monteith went to rehab, stopped using drugs for some time and then started up again, may have contributed to his death, which has been ruled an accident.
A drug that was previously tolerated may become fatal after a period of time, the report explained.
Monteith was found dead in his hotel room in July at the Fairmont Pacific Rim in downtown Vancouver.
The investigation confirmed that hotel video captured Monteith returning alone to his room at 2:16 a.m. PT on July 13, and that he was not seen alive again. He was found dead the same day by hotel staff when he missed his checkout time.
Monteith, who played the quarterback Finn Hudson on the Fox TV series about a high school glee club, was born in Calgary and raised in Victoria.
Popular now in news
- 1165 reading now
Party bus erupts into flames in downtown Vancouver
- 641 reading now
Truckers take cautious approach to all-electric vehicles
- 555 reading now
How to buy a car without getting ripped off: CBC's Marketplace consumer cheat sheet
Back-to-work legislation in Ontario college strike expected to pass today
Person dies during armed forces training exercise in Manitoba