The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako has ordered two immediate evacuation orders and declared a state of emergency, as two wildfires spreads across northwestern B.C.
The order affects residents living in the path of the China Nose wildfire, burning near Houston, and the Chelaslie Arm wildfire, burning near Entiako Provincial Park.
The China Nose wildfire is estimated at 1,250 hectares and is burning 15 km southeast of Houston, B.C. and about 2.5 km west of China Nose mountain.
The China Nose evacuation order is in effect for the following areas:
- South from 9840 Heading Creek FSR, west to the Snow Mobile Cabin on Equity Mine Road, east to and including Crow Creek Road beyond the train tracks, east to 22387 and 22507, north to 25699 including Day Lake Road, southern portions of the Forest Dale Canyon Road, Bulkley Lake, Day Lake and Elwin Lake.
BC Parks has closed Entiako Provincial Park and issued an evacuation order for all cabin owners and any other persons within the park due to the Chelaslie River wildfire which is burning about 7 kilometres south of the Chelaslie River.
Estimated size of the fire is 104,000 hectares.
The Chelaslie Arm evacuation order is also in effect for these areas:
- The north east half of Tetachuck Lake, from the north bank of Uchu Reach to Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako Electoral Area ‘E’ François/Ootsa Lake Rural, which is 1.5 kilometres south of Chedakuz Forest Service Road, where it meets the boundary of the electoral area.
- The area from the eastern boundary of Entiako Park to the eastern and southern boundary of the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako Electoral Area ‘E’ François/Ootsa Lake Rural, to the evacuation order area in the north.
Evacuees are asked to leave the area immediately, close all windows and doors, shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers and close gates (latch) but do not lock.
Evacuees should register at:
- An Emergency Social Services (ESS) Centre in Burns Lake at the Burns Lake Heritage Centre (Burns Lake Chamber of Commerce) at 540 Highway 16 or contact the Emergency Social Services Director at 250-251-0064; or
- The Emergency Social Services Centre in Houston at the Houston Municipal Office 3367 12th Street or contact the Houston Emergency Social Services Centre at 250-845-2238.