Each year the Webster Awards celebrate the best journalism in B.C., and this year CBC and Radio-Canada have been nominated for nine awards for the stories filed by our team in B.C. working in television, radio and online.
This year's CBC nominees are:
Jack Webster Award for Excellence in Digital Journalism
- Devon Goodsell, Jonathan Derouchie, Kali Smith, Stephen Smart, Dan Burritt, Renee Filippone, Mike Laanela, Jennifer Sheppard, Rhiannon Coppin with CBC News Vancouver for B.C. Votes 2013
Best News Reporting of the Year - Radio
- Bob Keating with CBC Radio News in Nelson for Johnsons Landing Slide
- Rick Cluff, Shiral Tobin, Chris Brown, Elaine Chau, Jodie Martinson, Margaret Gallagher with The Early Edition for Pidgin Protests
Best News Reporting of the Year – Television
- Kathy Tomlinson, Mike Clarke with CBC News Vancouver for Budget Rent A Car Rip-off
Best Feature Story - Radio
- Theresa O'Leary and Yvonne Gall with CBC Radio for Restorative Justice
- Garth Mullins, Lisa Hale and Yvonne Gall with CBC Radio's ideas for The Imaginary Albino
- Jodie Martinson and Joan Webber with CBC Radio's The Current for To Have & To Hold: Evelyn Amony's Story
Best Feature Story - Television
- Therese Champagne with Radio-Canada Television for My Culture of Rice
Jack Webster Award for Science, Technology, Health & Environment
- Duncan McCue, James Roberts, Doug Trent, and Michelle Billman with CBC News - The National for MOOC (Massive Open Online Course)
CBC's B.C. News Director Wayne Williams said the nominations recognize the work of the entire news and current affairs team.
"You always hold your breath on Webster nomination day. The news trickles in, one category at a time so it was a long morning." said Williams.
"But our great journalists produced a lot of high quality work again in the past year and they've been recognized for it in nominations in almost every possible category. I can breath again. Congratulations to all of them and good luck on Oct 30."
Regional Director Johnny Michel said, "It's wonderful to be recognized for the great journalism that CBC British Columbia creates on all of our platforms, radio, tv, and online."