Surrey RCMP says it has recovered a car believed to have been involved in a hit-and-run incident that left a 19-year-old man in a motorized wheelchair severely injured.
The purple 2000 Honda Civic was seized by police following a tip from a member of the public who recognized the vehicle after hearing a description of the car in a newscast.
Jonathan Forero was struck from behind by the car on 95A Avenue on Nov. 5, sending him several metres into the air. The driver fled immediately.
Police say charges are currently pending against a 32-year-old man, who was the registered owner of the car on the day of the incident.
"Our request for assistance resulted in exactly the kind of outcome we hoped to receive from our community to assist our efforts," says Cpl. Bert Paquet.
Forero has had a brittle bone condition since birth, and as well as using a wheelchair, had been taking medication to strengthen his bones, in the hope of walking one day.
However, one of his shoulders and both his legs were broken in the crash and he now has months of recovery ahead of him - aside from any future hopes of walking.
Surrey RCMP continues to investigate.