BC Hydro seeks injunction against Site C protesters
David Suzuki, Grand Chief Stewart Phillip rally in opposition to controversial project
BC Hydro is seeking an injunction today in B.C. Supreme Court as it looks to end to the protest against its controversial Site C dam project.
The Crown corporation says the injunction is necessary to keep the project on schedule and budget, and claims protesters have prevented contractors from completing their work. It is also seeking punitive damages and costs.
Demonstrators have been camped out in a remote area near Fort St. John since Dec. 31.
Outside the court today, activist David Suzuki was joined by a handful of demonstrators calling on the province to abandon the project.
Suzuki says Ottawa's commitment to the Paris climate deal last December should give it reason to reconsider the future of Site C.
"It seems crazy to put farmland in the north under water when that valley can be the bread basket of the north. Food has to be grown much closer to where it is going to be consumed," he said.
Suzuki was joined outside the courthouse by Grand Chief Stewart Phillip who also voiced his opposition.
"It's very important wildlife habitat for the treaty people," Phillip said. "We intend to fight this fight on the land, in the courts, and through the political process. We stand in vehement opposition."
Site C jobs in demand
Meanwhile in Prince George, organizers of a job fair for Site C say they're expecting hundreds of people to attend this afternoon.
Last week, 3,000 people lined up for hours at several Site C job fairs in northeastern B.C. The fairs allow applicants to speak with contractors who are hiring.
BC Hydro announced in December it would spend $1.75 billion to build the earthen dam, foundation, two diversion tunnels and spillways.