A northern B.C. man accused of killing three women and a teenage girl made his first court appearance in Prince George on Monday morning.
Cody Alan Legebokoff, 21, is charged with four counts of first-degree murder over the slayings in northern B.C. in 2009 and 2010.
Legebokoff was led into court Monday morning wearing a prison T-shirt and pants. He spoke briefly with his lawyer before sitting down in the prisoner's box.
The Crown confirmed the case will proceed by direct indictment on all four murder charges, moving directly to trial without a preliminary inquiry. The Crown indicated the trial could take six months to a year.
The judge indicated it would likely be a jury trial, and warned reporters any media inaccuracies would result in the trial being moved out of town.
The courtroom was virtually empty, with only reporters filling the gallery. There were no friends or family members of the accused or the victims in the courtroom.
The next court date is scheduled for Nov. 9, when the Crown and defence are expected to discuss a sweeping publication ban.
Legebokoff was first arrested and charged with the first-degree murder of 15-year-old Loren Leslie after Leslie's body was found along a snowy forest road in northern B.C. last November.
Her father Doug Leslie said he had no desire to be in the courtroom on Monday to see Legebokoff.
"There is nothing I can do to make him feel anything and there is nothing I can do to bring my daughter back, so I have no interest in it. I am not going to get any satisfaction from it," he said.
Linked to 3 more deaths
While Legebokoff was in custody, a police investigation linked the case to the deaths of three other women from the Prince George area between 2009 and 2010.
Earlier this month, Legebokoff was charged with three more counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Cynthia Maas, 35, Natasha Montgomery, 23, and Jill Stuchenko, 35.
Doug Leslie said time has not made it any easier for him to deal with his daughter's death.
"It's been terrible. It's been actually worse than it was 10 months ago — 11 months ago," he said.
"He has done a terrible thing and I don't know what the outcome is going to be, but we just got to go forward without thinking about that crap all the time."
Police allege Legebokoff used the internet and social media websites to meet women, frequently using the online name 1CountryBoy.
Officers have said the investigation is not over, and investigators continue to look for more witnesses and additional victims.