Of the 40,000 people who turned up on Granville Street to celebrate the Canucks' victory over the Boston Bruins, only eight were arrested for being drunk or disorderly, Vancouver police say.

Police poured out 325 items of confiscated liquor after the game, issued 31 tickets and made three drug seizures on Wednesday night, after the Canucks won the first game of the Stanley Cup final series.

But other than that, there were no significant incidents amongst the throngs of fans who decide to congregate and exchange spontaneous high-fives with complete strangers, police said.

Game 2 in the series is on Saturday in Vancouver, and police say they are expecting even larger crowds in downtown, where the game is being broadcast on two giant screen televisions for free.

"With good weather in the forecast, and even larger crowds expected to take in Saturday's game, Vancouver Police will be stepping up beach patrols earlier in the day, and foot patrols in the entertainment district throughout the evening, to ensure everyone coming into the city has a safe and memorable experience," said a statement issued by police on Thursday morning.

 In 1994 Canucks fans famously rioted on Robson Street after the team lost in Game 7 of the finals to the New York Rangers.

But police say they have learned a lot about managing crowds since then and their main concern on Wednesday night was getting sore hands from all the high fives.

Nine drivers suspended on North Shore

It was less of a sober story on the North Shore of Vancouver after the game according to the North Vancouver RCMP.


Vancouver Canucks fans were joyous but largely sober and orderly as they celebrated the team's victory over the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night on Granville Street. (Mike Laanela/CBC)

"In the space of just a few hours last night, North Vancouver RCMP issued nine immediate roadside prohibitions," Sgt. Peter DeVries said in a statement issued on Thursday morning.

"Seven of the prohibitions were alcohol-related, with five of those being 90-day prohibitions, and two of them three-day prohibitions. The remaining two were seven-day prohibitions due to excessive speeding," said DeVries.

RCMP say they can't prove it, but they suspect the spike in violations was associated with the game.

"I hope it's not," says Sgt. Peter DeVries, spokesperson for the North Vancouver Detachment. "But regardless of the reasons, we have noticed it, and we will be responding by stepping up enforcement."