More than 200 restaurants in Metro Vancouver were forced to temporarily shut down in 2014 for violating Public Health Act regulations.
The most common reasons for closures were:
- Unsanitary conditions.
- Food not stored properly.
- The presence of pests.
Last year, 117 restaurants in the region covered by Vancouver Coastal Health were forced to temporarily close — nearly 30 more restaurants than the previous year.
Additionally, Inderjeet Gill, speaking for Fraser Health, said it closed 105 restaurants last year.
"The numbers in Surrey are definitely higher this year than they were last year," he said.
"The closures can go up or down depending on the inspections, times, etc. Every inspection is a snapshot of the time. The responsibility is on the owner to make sure they maintain their premise according to regulatory requirements."
Gill said Fraser Health regularly posts inspection reports online and encourages people to check its site before deciding where to dine.
Among the worst in the Fraser Health district was Mrs. Vanelli's at 4820 Kingsway, in Burnaby, which has a total of 12 health code violations.
Also on the list was a White Spot restaurant at 10181 152nd St. in Surrey. Company spokesman Bill Senghera says broken equipment was mostly to blame.
"Never in 85 years that White Spot has been operating have we been forced to close as a result of health and safety inspection," said Senghera.
In 1985, a type of liquid garlic used in beef dip was blamed for an outbreak of botulism at the White Spot's Georgia Street location in downtown Vancouver that affected more than 30 people.