Fire investigators say it's too early to say what sparked an early morning fire in North Surrey that left two elderly people dead.
The fire broke out just before 3 a.m. PT Sunday on the second floor of a house in the 15700 block of 94A Avenue.
The elderly victims, whose names have not been released, were in their 70s, police said, and were sleeping in an upstairs bedroom.
Neighbour Greg Grabowski said he awoke to the smell of smoke.
"I saw smoke coming out of the house's front window above the garage. Very thick, very black smoke," he said.
Officials say there was only one smoke detector in the home and it may not have been working.
"We know seniors account for 35 per cent of fire deaths in B.C., yet only account for 15 per cent of the population," said Surrey Deputy Fire Chief Karen Fry. "They are at a much greater risk of dying."
Officials say the fire does not appear to be suspicious.