7 surprising discoveries at the Gadhafi compound
When rebels overran Moammar Gadhafi's Bab al-Aziziya compound, the deposed Libyan leader was nowhere to be found. But a number of items from the sprawling compound have since emerged, ranging from sensitive political documents to a photo album of Condoleeza Rice. The following are seven surprising discoveries made at the compound.
1. Political Secrets?: Documents appear to show America's CIA and Britain's MI6 had a somewhat cozy relationship with the regime and that both countries were involved in the rendition of Libyan terror suspects. China is also under scrutiny for its relationship with Libya, after the Globe and Mail reported that documents revealed Libyan officials recently met with Chinese weapons manufacturers. The meeting reportedly took place even though a United Nations resolution banned military assistance to Libya.
2. Gadhafi home videos: Reuters has recovered video of Gadhafi, dressed in a white track suit top, playing with his grandchild in one of his tents inside the compound in 2005.Gadhafi repeatedly asks the girl: Do you love me?" The girl replies "No" prompting Gadhafi to ask:"Then do you hate me? Am I not good? Am I not sweet?" Again, the girl replies, "No," Reuters reported. Gadhafi then asks the girl 'who is sweet,' and she then points toward the camera. The girl can also be seen putting her hand over Gadhafi's mouth, touching his nose and forehead and giggling as he babbles through her hand.
3. Gadhafi family photo album: New York Times photographer Tyler Hicks found, in what looked like a family media room, photos of Gadhafi with world leaders and family pictures. Those included baby photos, pictures of the Gadhafis playing soccer and Gadhafi with his children and grandchildren.
5. DVDs: A number of assorted DVDs have reportedly been found in bedrooms of the compound. The titles have varied, and have apparently included a number of James Bond movies. A DVD of the computer animated film Open Season lay among the debris, the Guardian reported, possibly for one of Gadhafi's grandchildren. Gadhafi' daughter Aisha had a number of action and mystery films found in her room. One report claimed a Sex and the City DVD box set was found in another room.
6. Mini-amusement park: Comparisons were immediately drawn to Michael Jackson's Neverland estate after fairground rides were discovered on the compound grounds. The Daily Mail reported that the carnival-type rides included an old-fashioned carousel, a roundabout decked out in a cartoon-style teapot and spinning cups for kids. Some rebels reportedly posed for pictures in the giant teacup.
With files from The Associated Press