Takata airbags: About 1.5 million recalls listed in Canada
Number of recalls grows as manufacturers list cars that need defective airbags replaced
The absolute number of recalls in Canada in connection with Takata airbags is unclear, but a Transport Canada site listing recalls from automakers adds up to more than 1.5 million vehicles.
Takata airbag inflators can explode and send metal fragments into the passenger compartment.
Transport Canada has posted a new database of Canadian cars affected, listing models from Honda, Mazda, General Motors, Toyota, BMW, Nissan, Ford and Fiat Chrysler.
- Takata airbag recall involves millions of vehicles in Canada
- Takata airbag recall: U.S. regulator seeks ways to speed it up
The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has forced Takata to recall 33.8 million cars after battling with the company for 18 months over its defective products.
Inflators in the airbags can explode, injuring people inside the car and affecting the performance of the airbag in an accident.
The makes and models were not available last week, and Transport Canada had no estimates of the numbers of vehicles that might be recalled.
However, the manufacturers have begun to issue recalls for specific vehicles, making it possible to estimate the number of cars affected in Canada, though total numbers remain murky because Transport Canada does not keep track.
In Canada, vehicle manufacturers are responsible for carrying out recall campaigns, not parts suppliers, nor Transport Canada.
These models and numbers were posted by Canadian safety regulators, although the list may not be comprehensive:
- Honda Motor Co.: 704,770 vehicles: 2001-2005 Civic, 2001-2007 Accord, 2002-2004 Odyssey, 2002-2006 CR-V, 2001-2005 Acura 1.7EL, 2002-2003 Acura TL, 2003 Acura CL, 2003-2006 Pilot, 2003-2010 Element, 2006 Ridgeline.
- BMW AG: 30,838 vehicles. 2002-2003 3 Series, 2003-2004 X5.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.: 374,508 vehicles: 2005-2007 Charger, 2007-2008 Aspen, 2005-2007 Magnum, 2004-2011 Ram pickups, 2004-2008 Durango. Ram pickups from 2002-2003.
- Ford Motor Co.: 102,540 vehicles: 2005-2014 Mustang and GT models, 2004-2007 Ranger pickups.
- General Motors: 29,900 vehicles, including 2003 Pontiac Vibe, 2013-14 Chevrolet Cruz, 2015 GMC Canyon.
- Toyota: 107,339 vehicles: 2002-3 Sequoia, Tundra, Lexus SC-40; 2004-5 Rav, 2003-4 Corolla.
- Nissan: 145,050 vehicles: 2003 Infiniti FX35, FX45; 2001-2003 Infiniti I35, Maxima; 2002-2003 QX4, Pathfinder, Sentra.
- Mazda: 1,130 vehicles: 2004 Mazda6, RX8.
Honda, in a statement to CBC, said some of the cars listed in the recall Thursday had previously been subject to a notice of defect. The same is true for some of the other automakers.
Transport Canada says auto manufacturers have confirmed that no abnormal deployments of airbags supplied by Takata have occurred in Canada.
- An earlier version of this story estimated 1.95 million vehicles were recalled, but some of the recalls in that estimate were duplicates of earlier special service campaigns by the automakers.May 28, 2015 4:19 PM ET
With files from The Canadian Press