Unemployment rate drops to 7.2% on 59,000 new jobs
59,000 new jobs created in October
Posted: Dec 7, 2012 8:42 AM ET
Last Updated: Dec 7, 2012 5:25 PM ET
Canada cranked out 59,000 new jobs in November as an increase in full-time work helped push the unemployment rate down 0.2 percentage points to 7.2 per cent, according to statistics released today.
Statistics Canada said Friday there were job gains in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, Manitoba and Prince Edward Island.
There was little change in the other provinces.
Much of the job gains came from the private sector, because public-sector jobs and the number of self employed people were basically unchanged.
Manufacturing job losses
The strong jobs number beat economists' expectations by a long shot, and was a big rebound from a flat showing the previous month.
The decline in the jobless rate was especially significant, as Canada's unemployment rate had been stagnating at around 7.4 per cent for a few months.
The unemployment rate dropped because the 59,000 new jobs number was large enough to offset the 19,000 new workers who entered the workforce during the month.
Within the numbers, the food service, retail and agricultural sectors saw strong gains, whereas the manufacturing sector shrank, continuing its long-term trend.
"Construction jobs fell 8,000 and are down about 16,000 [from] year-ago levels, which is a slight warning sign on where the housing debate is going," Scotiabank economist Derek Holt noted.
Top News Headlines
- Search continues for 2 missing New Brunswick fishermen
- A search effort has resumed for two missing fishermen off the coast of New Brunswick, after a distress call was issued from their boat early Saturday. more »
- Jeep driver apologizes after stunt kills Edmonton woman
- A man claiming to be the driver of a Jeep that struck and killed a spectator at a charity event in Edmonton says he is sorry for what happened. more »
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Voting in Karachi goes ahead a day after gunmen killed a senior member of Imran Khan's Movement for Justice (PTI) party outside her home in Karachi. more »
- Virginia parade crash driver likely had medical problem
- Authorities believe the driver who plowed into dozens of hikers marching in a Virginia mountain town parade suffered from a medical condition and did not cause the crash intentionally, an emergency official said Sunday. more »
Latest Business Headlines
- 1 year later, Facebook stock remains below IPO price
- A year after Facebook's high profile IPO, investors are still skeptical about its prospects and the stock price is wallowing. more »
- IRS's integrity at stake in scandal over screening of conservative groups
- Unloved in the best of times, the Internal Revenue Service will have to scramble to convince U.S. lawmakers and the public that its intentions were pure, not partisan, when it subjected groups affiliated with the Tea Party movement and other conservative causes to special scrutiny. more »
- GM shares close above IPO price for 1st time in 2 years
- Shares of General Motors reached an important milestone on Friday, closing above their initial public offering price of $33 US for the first time in more than two years. The day wasn't bad for GM's rivals either, with Ford shares closing above $15 for the first time since May 2011 and Toyota, Honda and Nissan all hitting 52-week intraday highs. more »
- AECL to cost $236M more than expected this year
- A new report from the parliamentary budget officer shows Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. continues to be a drain on the public purse and will cost an additional $236 million this year. more »
Lang & O'Leary Exchange
The data on this site is informational only and may be delayed; it is not intended as trading or investment advice and you should not rely on it as such.
- Harper chief of staff resigns amid Senate expense scandal
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels weekly radio show
- Email is proof Senate greenlit expenses, Brazeau says
- Senior Pakistani politician shot dead
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Winning ticket sold in Florida for $590M Powerball jackpot
- Iran hangs 2 men convicted of spying