Enbridge pitches safety upgrades to Northern Gateway
Posted: Jul 20, 2012 1:19 PM ET
Last Updated: Jul 20, 2012 11:47 PM ET
Enbridge Inc. is proposing to spend up to $500 million to change the design of its Northern Gateway pipeline in a bid to address safety concerns of aboriginal groups and others.
The project, which had a $5.5-billion price tag before Friday's announcement, has been the focus of intense debate among local communities, environmental groups and politicians.
Enbridge made its announcement on the same day the Alberta government — a staunch supporter of Northern Gateway — announced an independent pipeline safety review following three petroleum leaks in the province this year.
Critics of Northern Gateway, a paired system of oil and gas pipelines between the oilsands in northern Alberta and a terminal near Kitimat, B.C., have said they're worried about the potential environmental risks it poses within the B.C. Interior and in coastal waters. It's not a question of whether it leaks, but when, they worry.
Calgary-based Enbridge said Friday it had listened to the feedback from public hearings and was prepared to address concerns with a combination of improved technology and monitoring.
"We had already planned to build a state-of-the-art project using the most advanced technology, safety measures and procedures in the industry," said Janet Holder, executive vice-president for western access.
"These initiatives announced today make what we believe is a very safe project even safer."
Among other things, Enbridge said its new design would increase the thickness of pipe walls at river crossings. Enbridge said it would also increase the number of inspections it does by at least 50 per cent and staff pumping stations in remote locations around the clock.
"And after years of consultation with stakeholders and after personally attending many of the regulatory hearings for Northern Gateway, it has become clear to me that we have to do everything we can to ensure confidence in the project," Holder told reporters on a conference call.
Concerns over danger from oil tankers
The executive director of B.C. Coastal First Nations, a group that represents aboriginals on the province's central and northern coasts, said the announcement does nothing to alleviate its major concern — oil tankers.
"These tankers are still going to be going through the fourth most dangerous body of water in the world, and they still have the potential to wipe out everything on the cost of British Columbia with absolutely no benefits going to anybody in B.C.," Art Sterritt said.
Holder indicated Enbridge's plans for the marine terminal and tankers will remain unchanged.
In Calgary, meanwhile, Alberta Energy Minister Ken Hughes announced the province would tap an independent third party to work with the Energy Resources Conservation Board in reviewing pipeline integrity, the safety of pipe that crosses waterways and response to spills.
There have been three pipeline leaks in Alberta this year, including the leak of up to 475,000 litres of oil into the Red Deer River, a major drinking water source in central Alberta.
Earlier this month, the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board lambasted Enbridge for its handling of an oil spill in Michigan two years ago.
A report concluded Enbridge bungled its response when millions of litres of oil began to pour in and around the Kalamazoo River in July 2010, comparing the company's handling of the spill to the "Keystone Kops."
The Michigan spill affected more than 50 kilometres of waterways and wetlands and about 320 people reported symptoms from crude oil exposure.
The cleanup has cost Enbridge about $800 million.
Top News Headlines
- Toronto mayor fired chief of staff for telling him to 'go away and get help'
- CBC News has learned the details of what precipitated the firing of Mark Towhey as Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's chief of staff — and it was advice from Towhey that Ford needs to 'get help.' more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of their seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. But Judge Richard Mosley did find that fraud occurred in the election. more »
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- The journalist who broke the story alleging Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was recorded on video smoking crack cocaine says he may never be able to get his hands on the evidence. more »
- Bridge collapse on Washington interstate drops cars into water
- The Washington State Patrol says the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River at Mount Vernon has collapsed, dumping vehicles and people into the water. more »
Latest Business Headlines
- German brewers worry fracking will compromise beer quality
- German brewers are worried that fracking, the process of extracting natural gas from underground shale deposits, will jeopardize the quality of their beer by contaminating the water supply and have asked their government to hold off on passing the fracking regulations it has been drafting for months. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Importers brace for fight over iPods and TVs
- Importers of popular electronics such as big-screen TVs and MP3 players are ramping up their fight against federal tariff changes, accusing the government of misleading them by offering tariff breaks that it planned to claw back later. more »
- Big retailers pull out of $7B credit card fee settlement
- Some of America's largest retailers, including Target Corp. and Macy's Inc., on Thursday filed a lawsuit against MasterCard and Visa, rejecting a settlement reached last year over alleged fee-fixing. more »
- Mobilicity debtholders approve sale to Telus
- The creditors owed money by the financially struggling wireless company Mobilicity approved a deal Thursday that would see the mobile upstart sold to Telus for $380 million, but the sale must still be approved by regulators and the court overseeing Mobilcity's restructuring. more »
Lang & O'Leary Exchange
The data on this site is informational only and may be delayed; it is not intended as trading or investment advice and you should not rely on it as such.
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier
- Duffy says he wants to give Canadians 'the whole story'
- Vancouver man abandons Porsche on B.C. ferry
- Chained-teen's mom wants man who pleaded guilty 'to suffer'
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- B.C. teen saves pet dog in 'terrifying' cougar attack
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals