Michael Hlinka: Foreign Manufacturers Legal Accountability Act is mean-spirited legislation
- September 16, 2010 10:14 AM |
- By Michael Hlinka
Money Talks is a business column from CBC radio.
By Michael Hlinka, CBC business columnist.
Next week, a critically important vote will happen that could have a far-reaching impact on Canadian business interests.
If you haven't heard of the Foreign Manufacturers Legal Accountability Act, it's not because you're ill-informed. Rather, it's because this piece of legislation - which could have a negative impact on all sorts of Canadians - won't be voted on in our Parliament.
The vote will take place in the U.S. House of Representatives, when it considers whether to ban imports from companies that do not have an American agent, or possibly an American office. Nobody really seems to know for sure what the bill would mean in practice.
If you look at the provisions of the Foreign Manufacturers Legal Accountability Act, you quickly see that this is an extension of the "Buy American" mania that the U.S. government has embraced since the 2008 election. The American economy continues to stagnate. Even after the dollar's plummet, U.S. manufacturing can't get out of its own way. This piece of legislation will greatly disadvantage all the other countries that currently export to the United States. That is its clear intent.
- Andrew Wahl (19)
- Andrew Willis (13)
- Bob LeDrew (10)
- Dan Noel (1)
- David Baskin (18)
- David Berman (1)
- David Colman (14)
- Deborah Yedlin (29)
- Duncan Stewart (29)
- Ellen Roseman (90)
- Jacqueline Drew (10)
- Jim Bray (25)
- Jim Jubak (6)
- John Gilchrist (4)
- Kelly VanBuskirk (6)
- Kira Vermond (73)
- Loraleigh Kovacik (9)
- Michael Hlinka (183)
- Peter Vincent (16)
- Pierre Battah (1)
- Todd Hirsch (1)
All News blogs
- Kira Vermond: Resolutions for Work
- New Year, new you. At least that's what you're shooting for in 2012 at your workplace. This is the year that you're going to ditch your wallflower ways, speak up in meetings and take the initiative.... Continue reading this post
- Ellen Roseman: Air Miles-Use them or lose them!
- If you're collecting Air Miles, you now have only five years to use them. And if you don't redeem in time, you'll lose them.... Continue reading this post