Before you start a small business
- The Canada Business guide to starting a small business.
- Canada Revenue Agency's guide for small business includes everything you need to know about taxes and duties as well as CRA's small business services.
- A guide for creating a business plan from Canada Business.
- Tips for strengthening, updating a business plan.
Information privacy laws
- The Privacy for Small Business Online Tool developed by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada is an interactive privacy assessment tool specifically designed for businesses. It leads users through a step-by-step process to ensure proper handling of the information they possess and steps to take to comply with Canadian privacy laws.
- Privacy guide for small businesses, developed by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
- Guidelines for processing personal data across borders.
Coverage of the latest small business news, trends and issues, as well as advice from experts on everything from starting and marketing a business, to managing staff and improving the bottom line.
Some key resources for small business owners
- A tool kit for small businesses from Canada One
- FAQ: What small business owners need to know about the Canadian Consumer Product Safety ActInformation on obtaining licences and permits from Canada Business
- A questionnaire to help determine your ability to export, from Export Development Canada
- A comprehensive list of public sector tenders from MERX
- Marketing and sales tips from Canada Business
- The Canada Business guide to market research and statistics
- Guerilla marketing tips
Associations, funding and investment
- The Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses
- Guide to finding out what your business is worthThe Canada Small Business financing program from Industry Canada
- The Business Development Bank of Canada
- The Canadian Venture Capital Association
- The National Angel Capital Association
- PHSP: The best health plan you've never heard of?
- Guide to EI for the self-employed.
- Guide to EI deductions for family businesses.
Small business guides from Canadian banks
For young entrepreneurs