By the numbers
Last Updated July 25, 2006
The number of kilometres ships would save if they used the Northwest Passage instead of the current Europe-to-Asia shipping route via the Panama Canal.
The length, in kilometres, of the shipping route between London and Tokyo via the Northwest Passage.
The length, in kilomteres, of the current shipping route between London and Tokyo via the Panama Canal.
The approximate number of travel days saved by going through the Northwest Passage.
The approximate number of years it took for European explorers to map out the full length of the Northwest Passage.
The amount of money Prime Minister Stephen Harper promised he would spend, over a five-year span, to defend Canada's northern waters and the Northwest Passage.
70,000 square kilometres
The amount of ice lost in Canada's Arctic during the summer months; it's the equivalent of Lake Superior.
32 per cent
The percentage of ice lost in Canada's Arctic since the 1960s.
- Main page: The Arctic Grail
- The National in the North
- Notable Events - Interactive Map
- By the numbers
- The Northwest Passage by satellite
- Arctic passage: A Canadian icebreaker on patrol
- Fort Ross: The last trading post
- The National Road Stories: Our Changing Arctic
- Arctic sovereignty (July 31, 2006 | Runs 10:37).
- Fort Ross (July 31, 2006 | Runs 5:58).
- Researching climate change in the Arctic (Aug. 1, 2006 | Runs 5:25).
- Mapping Canada's outer limits (Aug. 1, 2006 | Runs 3:19).
- On the icebreaker Sir Wilfred Laurier (Aug. 1, 2006 | Runs 7:48).
- Will the Bowhead whales return? (Aug. 1, 2006 | Runs 3:50).
- Cambridge Bay and climate change (Aug. 2, 2006 | Runs 7:08).
- Future of polar bears (Aug. 2, 2006 | Runs 2:30).
- Life in the Arctic (Aug. 2, 2006 | Runs 3:16).
- The quest for the Northwest passage (Aug. 2, 2006 | Runs 12:31).
- Life on the Louis S. St-Laurent (Aug. 2, 2006 | Runs 9:52).
- Climate Change
- In depth
- Arctic Sovereignty
- In depth
- Breaking the Ice: Canada and the Northwest Passage
- CBC Archives
- Exploration of the Northwest Passage, Canadian Arctic Profiles, Canada's Digital Collections
- Drift Bottle Project
(Note: CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external sites - links will open in new window)