Guillaume Côté dancing in the zone
- February 2, 2012 12:45 PM |
- By Susan Noakes
That solo dancer leaping and twirling across a bare stage is Guillaume Côté, a principal dancer with the National Ballet of Canada. He put his own money and lots of fund-raising effort into creating the two-minute video, which captures the pure physicality of classical dance at its finest.
Côté is used to making ballet look easy on stage, in works such as Sleeping Beauty and The Seagull, but he says he has long wanted to portray a dancer in "the zone" -- the mental space he or she must find before a performance to let the art shine through.
"I wanted to get the tights off and I wanted to get the costumes off, and just show the sheer physicality of classical dance," he said in an interview with CBC's Metro Morning.
Those prolonged jumps, captured with a high-definition, high-speed Phantom camera, are what Côté feels like as he dances, he says.
Directed by Ben Shirinian and created for Bravo!FACT (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent), the video was also conceived as a way of showing the athleticism involved in dance and an attempt to make ballet accessible to those who may believe they don't like it.
It appears to be working, since Côté's video has already scored more than 320,000 hits.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post