Daniel Radcliffe to walk Toronto red carpet for The Woman in Black
- January 11, 2012 11:27 AM |
- By Susan Noakes
Daniel Radcliffe is set to visit Toronto and walk the red carpet on Jan. 26 for The Woman in Black, his first feature film role following the conclusion of the blockbuster Harry Potter teen wizard franchise. Radcliffe will be a special guest at
TIFF Bell Lightbox the Scotiabank Theatre for the horror film's Toronto premiere.
The young British star ended his Broadway run in the revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying on Jan. 1. It was his second Broadway turn (after making his debut in the raw drama Equus in 2009) and Radcliffe does seems keen to expand his performing persona following more than a decade playing a boy wizard.
In The Woman in Black, he is Arthur Kipps, a young lawyer sent to a remote estate to wrap up the affairs of a dead woman. Radcliffe describes Kipps as "someone who's been damaged very, very young and never found a way back from that." Wearing two day's worth of stubble, Kipps is energized by a struggle with the mysterious ghost haunting the estate. The thriller is from Britain's Hammer Films, which has been around since 1935 and recently seen a revival with titles such as The Resident and Let Me In.
Though the 22-year-old Radcliffe has not announced his subsequent screen roles, he's reportedly considering playing beat poet Allen Ginsberg in the upcoming Kill Your Darlings. In the meantime, he's also set to host Saturday Night Live, with musical guest Lana Del Ray, on Saturday.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post