A message from Middle Earth
- December 21, 2011 2:58 PM |
- By Susan Noakes
Welcome back to Middle Earth. Cue the deep-voiced dwarf ballads: Peter Jackson has released a sneak peak of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, currently in production in New Zealand, with the proviso that you still have to wait another year to see it.
Much of his vision is familiar from his blockbuster Lord of the Rings trilogy, from the look of Bag End to the return of Ian McKellen as Gandalf. We get the requisite tracking shot of gorgeous New Zealand, filling in for Middle Earth, and a CGI Rivendell that's heavy on colour saturation.
But there's a new Hobbit at the centre of this story: the valiant Bilbo Baggins played by Martin Freeman. While Ian Holm portrayed an elderly Bilbo as an empty shell in the earlier LOTR trilogy, Freeman's Bilbo is a tender and energetic sprout. There's also just a glimpse of Gollum in the trailer -- played again by the incomparable Andy Serkis -- and a great deal of dwarven oral history.
Still, it's a tantalizing glimpse for fans of Tolkien and Jackson.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post