Who's Tommy? The growing profile of Tom Hardy
- September 2, 2011 11:03 AM |
- By Eli Glasner
Tom Hardy plays Tommy in the film Warrior (Chuck Zlotnick/Alliance Films Media)
Jason Statham, watch your back: there's a new bullet-headed Brit about to steal your thunder.
Like Statham, Tom Hardy started out as a model. Those pretty boy features matched with a body built for dishing out punishment are part of what makes him such an arresting presence on-screen.
Tom Hardy arrives for the world premiere of the film Inception (Stefan Wermuth/Reuters)
After that, Hardy will soon be seen snarling at Christian Bale when the two face off in The Dark Knight Rises. Hardy's cast as Bane, the juggernaut of a villain -- powered by strength-boosting venom -- who famously breaks Batman. Considering how much Hardy bulked up for Warrior -- his neck bookended by a continental shelf of muscle -- he'll hardly need much enhancement.
Though Warrior might slake the thirst of ultimate fighting fans, those just waking up to Hardy's rough-hewn appeal should check out 2008's Bronson. Directed and written by Nicolas Winding Refn, the man behind TIFF buzz film Drive. Bronson tells the tale of the notorious British violent offender, artist and fitness enthusiast. Jailed for a simple stick-up, Charles Bronson spends decades in jail building a reputation for himself, while continually strutting in front of cameras wearing a carnival barker's smile.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post