R.E.M. release slew of new tunes
- January 4, 2011 9:18 AM |
- By Andre Mayer
This spring, alt-rock gods R.E.M. will release a new album, entitled Collapse Into Now. The U.S. group has been rather quiet in past years, which has apparently given lead singer Michael Stipe time to cultivate a regal beard.
The new album isn't due until March 8, but the band has already released several of the new tunes to the interwebs, including Oh My Heart, Discoverer and It Happened Today (above), a collaboration with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. To my ears, the band hasn't tinkered significantly with their jangly, folk-tinged sound, but Stipe's lyrical insights are always welcome.
All Arts & Entertainment blogs
Things That Go Pop!
- FILM REVIEW: Titanic 3D - minute by minute
- James Cameron's Titanic was always a marathon at three hours and counting. As it returns in 3D, Eli Glasner examines the experience --- minute by minute -- and discovers Céline Dion's ubiquitous soundtrack, and James Cameron's risible dialogue, have not improved with age. Continue reading this post
- Sparkle trailer gives last glimpse of Whitney Houston
- A trailer for the movie musical Sparkle was released Monday, giving us a glimpse of Whitney Houston's last project. The late singer plays the mother of Jordin Sparks, an aspiring singer in the 1960s who rises with a girl group similar to the Supremes. Sparkle will be released in August. Continue reading this post
- FABLE FIGHT: Mirror Mirror vs. Wrath of the Titans
- It's a box office battle of mythic proportions this weekend as remixed fables and fairy tales go head to head. In one corner, Mirror Mirror, a snarky retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. In the other, Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to the widely panned remake from 2010. Continue reading this post